Making your Initial Divorce Consultation Easier
The initial consultation with an attorney to discuss divorce can be difficult and an emotional drain.
These are some steps that can make the process easier for you. Bring as much financial information as possible.
The more documentation you gather about your financial situation, the better. Some of the important details are:
- The income you and your spouse earn
- The retirement and non-retirement assets you each have
- Real Estates and Vehicles that you obtain titles for
- The businesses or professional practices that you or your spouse have interest in
- A list of all current debts
- Evidence of assets acquired before marriage, whether gift or from inheritance
The critical documents are tax returns, savings/checking/investment account statements, and credit card statements. Of course, it is sometimes difficult to gather this information beforehand, but we can get a better overview of you financial situation. We can then tell you what information is still needed for a complete assessment so you can supply the missing documentation.
Be prepared to discuss the details of the history of your marriage.
The more information the better, we can tell if it is not relevant, but missing a valuable piece of information can be detrimental.
- The respective work history of you and your spouse
- Who was the primary caregiver of the children
- The type of lifestyle you maintain
- What are your typical expenses
- Do either of you or your children have any healthcare or special needs
Emotional pain does not equal more money.
Emotional suffering does not always imply financial advantage.
- It is an opportunity to share your story and your feelings
- Because your spouse cheated on you does not mean that you are going to gain financially in the settlement
- Sometimes there are other factors in play such as spending of your joint marital assets on a girlfriend or boyfriend
You want to find an attorney with experience that can help make the divorce process as easy as possible. A good attorney will give you a realistic expectation of what is involved in your divorce matter, and help you know what to expect as an outcome of the process.
What Our Clients Say
“Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
I had a great experience at Batley Family Law. They assisted me with my case. They were excellent and ensured that my case was handled as efficiently as possible and always made me feel informed. This firm helped me through a stressful time. Would absolutely recommend this law firm.”
“Thanks for everything yesterday! I had a very informative and meaningful consultation with Batley Family Law. I can tell that they are compassionate and strong which I admire in a law firm. Their firm has written a great book on New Mexico Divorce Law and they had recommendations for books to help my kids in this process! Thanks for the great gifts as well. I look forward to working with them in the process that lies ahead.”
Bobbie Batley is unquestionably the top family lawyer in New Mexico, largely because of the amazing team she leads. This firm cares about their clients, and puts those needs out front. I will never hesitate to refer to this firm!”
“Batley Family Law is an excellent place to work. I enjoy coming in everyday. It is clear to see how much our attorneys value New Mexican families. They work their hardest to advocate for their clients on a daily basis.”
“Batley Family Law provided me with excellent advice and service to effectively and efficiently resolve an issue with my best interests in mind. They did this with a great deal of compassion. I would highly recommend this firm.”
Please call us text us at
505-246-0500 or complete the form and we will be in touch.
Batley Family Law
316 Osuna Road Ne #301
Albuquerque, NM 87107