Income Tax Questions for the Recently Divorced

by Jimmy Verner of Verner, Brumley, McCurley, Mueller, Parker


April 15 is quickly approaching which means you need to start thinking about filing your taxes, but what if you are recently divorced? How will your divorce affect your federal income tax filing?

Two of the biggest differences you will face are your filing status and how to treat alimony or maintenance. If you have kids, then you must also know how to handle child support and dependency exemption.

Below are four common questions that recently divorced people should know the answers to when completing their taxes.

What is my filing status?

The Internal Revenue Code allows married couples to file jointly or separately. Once you are divorced, you must file separately. But when does the law consider you divorced for tax purposes? Instead of using the actual date of your divorce to determine filing status, Congress selected December 31 as the magic date. If the court signed your divorce decree on or before December 31, then you are considered single for the entire year and must file separately. If the court did not sign your decree by December 31, you are considered married for the entire year even if you’ve already gone to court. In that event, you and your ex may file married-filing-separately or file a joint return.

Does Alimony or Maintenance Count as Income?

In Texas, alimony is payable by contract upon divorce. Maintenance, on the other hand, is court-ordered. Whether you are paying or receiving alimony or maintenance, the result is the same: These payments are deductible by the ex who is paying them and must be reported as income by the ex receiving them.

Is Child Support Deductible?

If you and your ex have children, then the court will have awarded child support to the parent with whom the child primarily lives. Child support payments are not deductible by the paying ex and do not need to be reported as income by the receiving ex.

What is the Dependency Exemption?

There is a common misconception that whichever parent pays more for child support can claim the dependency exemption. In fact, the ex with whom the child primarily lives is the one who can claim the exemption. There is some flexibility with respect to the exemption: If the parents can agree between themselves, then the law allows either one of them to take the exemption. This can help both parents if the noncustodial parent makes substantially more money than the custodial parent. In that event, the noncustodial parent can share the tax savings with the custodial parent. If the parents do reach such an agreement, the noncustodial parent must sign IRS Form 8332, Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent and attach it to that parent’s tax return.

There are many other questions that can arise when you are filing taxes after a divorce. Speak to an attorney or tax professional to ensure you are properly completing the forms.

What Our Clients Say

“Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
I had a great experience at Batley Family Law. They assisted me with my case. They were excellent and ensured that my case was handled as efficiently as possible and always made me feel informed. This firm helped me through a stressful time. Would absolutely recommend this law firm.”

J. A.

“Thanks for everything yesterday! I had a very informative and meaningful consultation with Batley Family Law. I can tell that they are compassionate and strong which I admire in a law firm. Their firm has written a great book on New Mexico Divorce Law and they had recommendations for books to help my kids in this process! Thanks for the great gifts as well. I look forward to working with them in the process that lies ahead.”


Bobbie Batley is unquestionably the top family lawyer in New Mexico, largely because of the amazing team she leads. This firm cares about their clients, and puts those needs out front. I will never hesitate to refer to this firm!”


“Batley Family Law is an excellent place to work. I enjoy coming in everyday. It is clear to see how much our attorneys value New Mexican families. They work their hardest to advocate for their clients on a daily basis.”

K. W.

“Batley Family Law provided me with excellent advice and service to effectively and efficiently resolve an issue with my best interests in mind. They did this with a great deal of compassion. I would highly recommend this firm.”

E. F.

Contact Us

Please call us at
505-246-0500 or complete the form and we will be in touch.

Batley Family Law
316 Osuna Road Ne #301
Albuquerque, NM 87107
Phone: 505-246-0500

  • Read our Privacy Policy