Community Involvement 2020-2021
We’re so grateful that our team is dedicated to community involvement in so many unique and creative ways. Here are a few things that we’ve been up to recently outside of the office:
· Bobbie was appointed by the State Bar of New Mexico as Chair of the Statewide Legal Specialization Commission. They have been meeting monthly to develop Policies and Procedures for legal specialization in a variety of practice areas across the State.
· Lauren Riley participated in Ask-A-Lawyer Call in Day. Sponsored by the New Mexico Young Lawyer Division, a pro-bono event that serves people across New Mexico.
· Bobbie has served the last three years as the ABA Family Law Section Chair of Strategic Planning which met virtually every month during the pandemic, she also attended the ABA Family Law Section Virtual Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 CLE Conferences and the educational lunch Brown Bag seminars.
· Jensen Wallace and Lauren Riley were mentors for 1L Students at UNM School of Law through a Mentorship program run by the Young Lawyer Division.
· Bobbie continues to serve as the State Bar of New Mexico Liaison to the ABA House of Delegates and participated in the ABA House of Delegates virtually last Fall and this past Spring.
· The Batley Family Law Firm was also a sponsor for the Annual Golf Tournament for University of New Mexico’s School of Law, a commitment that Bobbie and her team have been making for at least 10 years.
· Bobbie also attended a luncheon to support the Children’s Grief Center of Central New Mexico, a local nonprofit that provides resources to families mourning the loss of a family member or friend.
· Jensen is Co-Chair of the Committee on Women and the Legal Profession.
· Bobbie and Lauren taught the course on community property to students and attorneys who took the bar exam in New Mexico in February of this year.
· The Batley Family Law Firm has participated locally in Virtual Brown Bags in the 1st and 2nd Judicial Districts with the Judges using those as an opportunity to educate the lawyers as to how they are addressing the needs of the public during the pandemic.
· Bobbie attended the Annual AAML meeting virtually last November and the virtual Mid-Year meeting this past March. At the March meeting, she was sworn in as a new member to the Board of Governors.
· In order to educate our Associates on issues that are relevant to family law we have hosted virtual and in person training sessions on such topics as reading a tax return and business valuation.
· Bobbie has continued to serve on the Board of the New Mexico Collaborative Practice Group, and they have continued to meet virtually throughout COVID-19.
· Jensen sits on the Supreme Court Commission for Equity and Justice.
· Bobbie helped her daughter’s Girl Scout Troop as treasurer during the year and in cookie sales.