Documents to Update After Your Divorce
by BARTHOLOMEW & WASZNICKY
Once your divorce decree becomes final, you’ll need to update many documents to reflect your newly single status and change beneficiaries. Many people only consider life insurance policies and updating their driver’s license if they changed their name. However, there are actually quite a few other documents to consider revising that, if you do not update them, may cause problems down the line when it comes to healthcare decisions and your estate wishes.
1. Social Security Card. If your divorce decree included a change to your name, you’ll want to change your card and file with the Social Security Administration.
2. Driver’s License. If you changed your name, you’ll want it reflected on your driver’s license as it is the primary means of identifying you.
3. Property Titles (for real estate, motor vehicles, etc.) If you want to transfer ownership and to reflect a name change.
4. Retirement Plans and Life Insurance Policy. Update your beneficiaries and change your marital status.
5. Will & Trust. Again, make sure your beneficiaries are updated and that these reflect your new marital status.
6. W-4. Important to adjust your number of dependents to reflect your newly single status.
7. Medical Treatment Authorization and Consent Forms for Children. Your children may not have the same care situations as when you were married, and you might want to make sure whomever is caring for your children is authorized to help your children get appropriate medical care.
8. Medical Power of Attorney and Medical Directives for Healthcare. You’ll probably want to update who has this decision making power should you become incapacitated.
9.HIPPA Authorizations at your doctors’ offices. If these forms reflect allowing information to be left with your ex-spouse, you might want to change this.
These may not be all inclusive of every document you will need to change, but it will help you get most of your documents in order for the next stage of your life.
What Our Clients Say
“Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value
I had a great experience at Batley Family Law. They assisted me with my case. They were excellent and ensured that my case was handled as efficiently as possible and always made me feel informed. This firm helped me through a stressful time. Would absolutely recommend this law firm.”
“Thanks for everything yesterday! I had a very informative and meaningful consultation with Batley Family Law. I can tell that they are compassionate and strong which I admire in a law firm. Their firm has written a great book on New Mexico Divorce Law and they had recommendations for books to help my kids in this process! Thanks for the great gifts as well. I look forward to working with them in the process that lies ahead.”
Bobbie Batley is unquestionably the top family lawyer in New Mexico, largely because of the amazing team she leads. This firm cares about their clients, and puts those needs out front. I will never hesitate to refer to this firm!”
“Batley Family Law is an excellent place to work. I enjoy coming in everyday. It is clear to see how much our attorneys value New Mexican families. They work their hardest to advocate for their clients on a daily basis.”
“Batley Family Law provided me with excellent advice and service to effectively and efficiently resolve an issue with my best interests in mind. They did this with a great deal of compassion. I would highly recommend this firm.”